So, you have a shiny new website. Now what?
Getting your website online is only the first step of your online journey. You now need to start deciding what you are going to do with it moving forward.
Like most things, a website needs to looked after and maintained to work to its full potential. It also needs to be secured to prevent unauthorised access as well.
So, with this in mind, here are a few hints and tips about what you can do with your new website and how to start building a great online presence.
List of Steps
Spread The Word
After your website goes live, the most important thing you need to do initially is drive traffic to it. This will help Google index it faster and start improving your SEO rankings immediately. Here are some ways to consider getting the word out:
- Email Newsletter – if you have a newsletter or email list, be sure to let them know that the new site has launched and even more importantly, how it can help their business or add value to them. We utilise Mailchimp and can assist you setting this up.
- Social Media – use your network of Facebook friends, family or co-workers to get the word out. You’d be surprised how far one post can go when it’s shared and liked. Also, if you’re active on Linked In, Instagram or other socials, share away!!
- Word of Mouth – word of mouth is still the most powerful referral. If you’re as excited as we are when your site launches, tell those around you! Get their opinion and see what they think about your new online presence. That’s valuable feedback that may come in handy when considering changes and additions to the site moving forward.
Ask For Reviews
Online reviews are more important than ever, particularly for businesses being googled and found online. A potential customer will look at reviews almost immediately. There are many different ways and platforms on ways to get reviews, but here are some we recommend:
Google Review – this is highly recommended as google reviews are generally what will pop up when somebody finds your site with an internet search. You can either have your customers google your business, then leave a review OR you can click here to generate a direct link.
Facebook Reviews – FB reviews are also great and are now a more reputable spot for customer reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask for your customers to leave a review on your Facebook page and have them share it. Or get their permission for you to share it.
Testimonials for Website – after your website is live, we recommend gathering as many testimonials as possible to post on the website. Even if you don’t currently have any on the site, if you can gather 5-10 good, personalised reviews (usually gathered via email or off Google or Facebook) we can eventually set up a testimonials page. Users will often look for reviews ON the site as well as on other outlets before making a purchase, calling or emailing. I recommend putting the best one’s on the site
Keep Content Fresh And Updated
After your website has been live for a while, we recommend doing some things to keep it fresh. Particularly if you have a site with repeat or recurring visitors. Here are some suggestions:
- Swap Out Images – we recommend changing out or updating images 1-3 times a year. If your website has a main image right when you open the front page, it’s important to keep that fresh and new.
- Colours/Layout – if your site has been untouched for more than a year, it’s strongly recommended that you do something to update it. Whether it’s making some cosmetic changes to the action colours or menu bar, or even just adjusting or adding some new images.
- Keep Your Information Updated – if information, staff, hours or services change for your business, be sure to change the website too! There’s nothing worse than having wrong information on a website. Keep your website updated!
Build Site Content
A website is viewed by google as being “alive” or “dead.” An “alive” site is driving traffic, getting new and existing users, being updated, posting new blogs and content. If your site is “dead” – i.e. not being managed, updated or taken care of – it can impact your SEO ranking dramatically. Here’s some options on how to build your website content:
- Blog – blogging sounds a bit overrated and useless to a lot of people and I can understand that, but the facts are the facts – websites with blogs generally drive 30-40% more traffic to their sites than their competitors.
- New Pages – it’s generally good practice to not only update your images and graphics, but also your content! If you have more services to add to your site, do it! Google LOVES seeing that a site is being built on to.
- Updated Content – if things in your industry change or your services change, be sure to update your site accordingly. Even adjusting content by a few words can show google that your site is being worked on and is again…”alive”.
Protect Your Site
Over 50% of all web traffic is currently spammers, bots, malware and hackers. If you haven’t already joined with us in protecting your website, we highly, highly recommend it. You can find out more as to why here, but the fact is that sites are getting hacked left and right these days. And most of the time, for no reason more than a hacker thousands of miles away just happening to find a way in or a web spider that got through a hosting company’s firewall, etc.
If your site isn’t protected and secured, it’s only a matter of time before there’s a breach.Our security plan lets you (and us) sleep better at night knowing that your site is protected.
Promote And Market
There are various ways to promote your site such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Shopping, GoogleMyBusiness and Google Ads. There are also other ways such as by enhancing your SEO and creating backlinks via directories and affiliate links.
Not every option is suitable for every customer but G-Host are here to help and advise you of the best strategy to use to optimise your online presence.